Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rich Art Bi-Polar Gauge one conversion

This is my most recent project. . . . .

This engine originally started as a Gauge One Rich Art Bi Polar.  If you are not aware of these engines, they are really a beautiful piece, in their original form.  I have found, after years of searching for a Rich Art Bi Polar engine in good working condition, they are VERY hard to find.   Apparently they were made in Gauge one, but the versions I have witnessed in the past were in standard gauge.  This engine is very long and hinged in the middle.  In their purest form, these engines have two eight wheel drive trucks, one under each section of the main cab.  Its wheel configuration is 4-8-8-4.   



When this engine found its way to my home, it was in gauge one (which was really a non issue since the only wheels I have used from the original would be the lead and trailing trucks).  One way to convert the lead and trailing trucks was to super glue a wheel to the existing gauge one trucks, which expands the spacing between the wheels to convert them into standard gauge.  I have attached  picture of the truck wheels. . . . . .



I have also converted the drive train from gauge one, which runs on DC to standard gauge, which runs on AC with the use of two McCoy trolley motors, which have been placed in Roberts' lines 100 series trucks.  To add length to the drive trucks, I have attached two Roberts lines trucks, bot relying upon the middle axles, making these trucks a 6 wheels drive train.  I hope these photos further explain this conversion . . . .



Here is a clip of the engine running. . . . .


video
A real beauty.